Saturday 3 August 2013

Burger Birthday Cake.


I really enjoy baking. I normally bake cupcakes and Mr and I gorge on them from the moment they come out if the oven, leaving no time to decorate them. However at the beginning of July, it was his birthday, so rather than doing my usual 24 cupcakes, I thought that I would bake one large cake. But not any old cake, oh no. I wanted my cake to look like one giant burger (he likes a good burger).

-Note- I apologise that I do not have pictures from the process and just the outcome, I didn't have the foresight to take those ones!

I remembered seeing these little cupcakes on Pinterest (Link to original site)


Gorgeous, aren't they?  So I looked back through my Pinterest board to see these again and the I got to planning my super sized version.

With my 9" cake tin, I made 2 vanilla sponges and 1 chocolate

Vanilla,
250g/9oz Caster sugar,
250g/9oz Unsalted butter (or stork)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Cream these together and then add;



3 medium sized eggs (crack in one at a time and then beat each in individually as this prevents the mixture from splitting )

250g/9oz Self raising flour (sifted)


Once it is all mixed in and you have a smooth batter which it slightly tearing away from the sides of the bowl then put it into a greased 9" baking tin and stick into a ore-heated oven (180c/355f) check around 40 minutes, mine were ready after around 45 minutes. When they are golden on top and a knife comes out clean from the middle of the cake you are good to go!



Chocolate,



250g/9oz Caster sugar,

250g/9oz Unsalted butter (or stork)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Cream these together and then add;



3 medium sized eggs (crack in one at a time and then beat each in individually as this prevents the mixture from splitting )

200g/7oz Self raising flour (sifted) 
50g/1.7oz Cocoa powder
A good tbsp of Nutella

Same cooking instructions as the vanilla sponge.


Once you have your cakes, leave them to cool off on a wire rack for at least an hour.

Now comes the fun part! I bought some ready to roll royal icing which was already coloured (I bought yellow, green and plain white) 
I also made a small amount of butter cream icing (equal parts Unsalted butter to icing sugar) which I put on the centre of one vanilla and the chocolate sponge.
I pinched the green icing to look like small lettuce leaves and used raspberry jam to fix them around the outside of the vanilla sponge which already has some butter cream in the middle, followed by the chocolate cake on top, again with some jam around the outside of the sponge I then rolled out the yellow as thin as I could and cut into triangles to look like cheese, then the last vanilla on top again, with specks of the white icing to look like the seeds on the bun.
The result?


 




I know that the last photograph is terrible, but it makes me laugh!

Do you enjoy baking and decorating your creations? I'd love to hear!

Until next time,
Emily x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...