Monday 1 August 2016

After all this time? Always. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Script (Spoiler Free)



I grew up with Harry Potter. I want to be in Gryffindor and I have a model of Molly Weasley's wand (I made Gareth promise to buy me one when we went to Universal Studios a couple of years ago).  I cry every single time I get to 'that part' in the Deathly Hallows without fail. I have read through the books several times each and watched the film series multiple times through. As many people are, I am utterly besotted with the wizarding world of Harry Potter. 

When I heard that the story was going to continue in the form of a play, I was slightly dubious. I liked how everything had ended in both the books and the film adaptations and I worried that continuing to churn out material would begin to ruin the world and the characters which I grew up with. 

Yesterday, Gareth and I took a wander to the supermarket and as with all Harry Potter launches, there was a big stand at the front door with the script of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I picked up a copy to have a read of the blurb and have a flick through and Gareth kindly offered to buy me a copy as an early birthday gift. The book was finished before dinnertime. 

This is a play script, not a novel and most importantly, not written by J.K. Rowling herself. She did have input on the story but the play itself is by John Tiffany and Jack Thorne. As this is a play script, you don't have the same immersion by the world being built and painted around the storytelling. That being said, there are seven books and eight films which have already established that world in our imagination so when we read the synopsis of where the scene is taking place and what might be happening in the background it is easy to build that picture yourself. We also already know and love a lot of the characters and the few which are new to us are very endearing and relatable.     

I felt that the characters kept very true to the original series and despite being set nineteen years after the final novel, the play picks up beautifully from where we were left. I very much enjoyed the story which The Cursed Child follows. We are reminded of some fabulous moments from throughout the original series and we embark upon another magical adventure. 

I would love to see this on stage at some point, as I do feel that this story will be much better portrayed on stage. It was what it was written for, after all. I am looking forward to seeing how they actually do certain things without the use of CGI which played a massive part in the film adaptations. 

I have to say, I am very pleased with Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I am still infatuated with the Harry Potter universe and I am sad that it has come to an end. After all this time? Always. 

Have you read the script yet? Or seen the play? What did you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...