Saturday 7 September 2013

Bourjois Java Rice Powder - Review


Java Rice Powder Ad from 1922.
Image Source

Bourjois are a brand which I always return to when it comes to cosmetics. There are a few products of theirs which have become staples in my cosmetic stash - little round pots in a variety of pink hues, foundations, lipsticks to the chocolate scented  bronzer which most women tend to have tucked away in a makeup bag somewhere. I always feel that with Bourjois you get a quality product for a good high-street price.

If you haven't heard already, Bourjois are currently celebrating their 150th birthday. They have released a Limited Edition Vintage Rose Candle which apparently smells just like the little round pots of blusher (a dusky-rose like scent) and is an exclusive to Selfridges (sadly, this is currently out of stock and as it is limited edition I am unsure as of yet if it will become available again - if it does I will let you know as I will be purchasing one myself!). The celebrations aren't limited to candles though, they have relaunched a new formula of an old classic first launched in 1879 - this is the Java Rice Loose Powder. A transparent loose powder in a universal shade that promises to smooth and give a radiant boost to the complexion as well as setting make-up.
Of course, I had to go out and see for myself!





 Very pretty vintage-inspired packaging, not too dissimilar to the original style of packaging that you can see in the old adverts from the first time it was launched.
It will be staying out on my dresser as it is such a pretty container and as it is a thick, coloured plastic container the product will be safe from damage caused by sunlight.





This powder feels silky smooth on the skin as it is such a fine powder. I was a little worried when I opened the pot to see that it looked quite sparkly - I've tried to show that on the swatch on my hand. Don't be put off by this though because you don't look like you are about to take part in a 1990's dancing display once it is on, you don't see the sparkle on your face. Honest.
This powder is translucent so don't worry about it making you look too pale - it doesn't alter the colour of your foundation at all.






Here it is not long after application, I used it to set my Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation (I wear shade 51, Light Vanilla as I am a typical Scot and very pale!) and my new concealer by Seventeen Phwoarr Paint which I will review in full in another post (HINT - new favourite! Move over Benefit's Boi-ing!).


As you can see, it has smoothed my skin beautifully and gives a nice glow to the skin.It also lasts well through the day without touching up, and I think that it has made my foundation look better for a longer duration of time.






I have to say that I am very impressed with this powder so far. A little goes a long way when using it and it really gives your makeup a beautiful boost. I am unsure as of yet as to whether this is a permanent addition to the range or if it is a limited edition product. I really hope that it is here to stay as I think it will most definitely become a staple in my makeup routine!

*Edited - Bourjois have confirmed on Twitter that this is a permanent addition to their line! Hurrah!*


Have you tried this product yet? What do you think of it?



2 comments:

  1. Hi does it help to combat shine please? xp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it does. My face can get shiny later in the day and since using this it hasn't gotten anywhere near the same amount of shine! I hope that this helps! :) x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...